Wednesday, March 26, 2008

If I Could Write a Letter to Me...

For those of you that follow this blog, you know that I'm a simple-minded person. There's not much on here that is profound, witty, or even very interesting. Having figured that out, it probably won't surprise you at all that I love country music. It's simple, rarely profound, witty, or interesting. I guess growing up in Lindon I just have a lot of the "simple life" in me. One of my favorites is Brad Paisley. With all the turmoil that we have been going through trying to figure out what to do with our lives, his latest song has really gotten me thinking.

If I could write a letter to me...
You'll make it through this and you'll see
You're still around to write this letter to me

You've got so much up ahead
You'll make new friends
You should see your kids and wife

And I'd end by saying have no fear
These are nowhere near the best years of your life

Dear Me,
I know you know that Josh is an amazing person. Marry him! It's scary to make such a big decision, but no one will ever make you as happy as he will. It's okay that neither of you have any money, you will be taken care of, I promise-take the plunge!

Move into that little apartment, even though it's so small and old. You'll fix it up and make it nice and always remember it. You will make friends in that ward who will last your lifetime. You will learn so much from them and you will have experiences that will change your lives. Enjoy every moment there because before you know it, you'll have to move on.
Stay in school! Don't quit. I know you hate it, but you will be so glad you finished. There is nothing like the feeling of graduating and completing something you worked so hard for. I know it would be so much easier if you were working and putting Josh through school, but, listen to Dad-stick with it. You will never regret getting a degree and being able to use it. First graders can be a pain, but you will fall in love with each one. Be patient and love your time with them.

Keep pressing forward. I know you wanted that little baby boy so badly. You're going to make it through this. I've come to realize that he's yours. You will have the chance to raise that little spirit whether in this life or the next. Until then, you have a little guardian angel watching over you. There are so many people around you that will help you, don't be scared to rely on them. The time will seem to crawl and I know it's hard to wait, but before you know it, you will have a beautiful baby girl that will bring you more joy than you could ever imagine.
Speaking of that little baby girl, go ahead and get that epidural. I know you've been wondering what to do, but you will be so happy you did. Enjoy her while you can just sit and cuddle her as close as you want. Pretty soon she'll start to push away so she can explore the world. Oh, and be careful not to tape over the footage of her rolling over for the first time!

Don't take that part-time teaching job. Stay home with Lydie. You will love being there with her for all of her firsts. Do the thing you will never regret.

Don't give up that apartment, you'll find out that you really don't need to. On second thought, do. Move in with your parents- that time that Grandma and Grandpa get to spend with Lydie will be priceless. You may not live close to them for very much longer. Take advantage of your time with them.



Now this is where I get stuck. What will this paragraph say?? Please tell me what to do...

And I'd end by saying have no fear
These are just some of the best years of your life
I wish you wouldn't worry, let it be
I'd say have a little faith and you'll see

If I could write a letter to me
To me

10 comments:

janaya said...

can i just tell you how much i absolutely totally and completely LOVE this post?! so profound. so inspiring. and so true. isn't it so amazing how everything can seem so wrong and so out of sync, and then you look back on life and it just all makes sense. it's so hard to remember sometimes, when we're in the thick of confusion and having a hard time recognizing the guiding hand in our lives. but it really does all work out, huh? i just love this post! :) AND you got me all teary-eyed!

Jesse Edwards said...

epa chica!!!

What would I tell you? I don't think I'm qualified to give advice. The only advice I can give is to trust Heavenly Father and everything will work out in the end. Sounds cliché. I love this post. Maybe I need to do this. Write a letter to myself. Then I would have to tell myself to take steps of faith into the dark earlier than I did, and to not be so afraid of the unkown.

You are awesome and I love how positive you always are. I look up to you a lot!

Lindsi said...

You made me cry and I don't cry, ever. That was very profound and inspiring. Thanks bud.

heather said...

Oh Emily! I can only imagine the endless possibilities and choices to make right now, and sad to say - I have no idea what the next verse will say besides what the general theme of the entire letter is: there is someone else designing our lives, and He knows what is best! I think by having the "simple life" in you, you have the gift and blessing to be happy and content no matter what situation you are put in. It's difficult when all your life you have worked on having faith and putting trust in Heavenly Father, only to find out that He is trusting you just as much! But use that trust that He has in you to build your confidence in your ability to make the right decision for you and your family. Oh how I miss and love you! I'll be praying for you guys ... you're amazing!

Kelli said...

Emily...I wish I had the answer for you. I wish I could help or give some type of advice. Life would be so easy if receiving answers worked that way. What ever you choose or where ever you go, you will always have a friend and listening ear in Spanish Fork.

Tiff said...

That was a beautiful post Emily! I hope things will work out for you and you will know what is right. Until then, keep smiling and know my prayers are with you.

Camille said...

I've read all your posts Emily and I LOVE YOUR BLOG!! You write wonderful things, inspiring things, and keep it interesting! You are fabulous! What a profound post this was. I love Brad Paisly too! He is one of the four country people I know!

(excuse the spelling)

Anonymous said...

Hey guys. how are you?

Tiffany said...

That was awesome... Emily, I feel so lucky to even know you!

Please Pass the Green said...

Thanks for making me cry . . . and laugh. Don't you hate when you tape over things!! That was beautiful. Life is better than we can ever imagine. I'm going to try to see more of that beauty now instead of just when I look back. Love you!!